Monday, February 22, 2010

Ranch style Tuna Patties

Tuna is something I buy in bulk at BJs wholesale. Its something that keeps a looooong time and is always handy for a quick lunch. Its way cheaper for me to buy 12 cans at a time than it is for me to buy them at the grocery on sale. So needless to say I have a lot of TUNA (why is it my brain still goes to big brother when I say that)

So today I had company and after everyone left I realized I forgot to defrost the chicken for dinner tonight. So I had to find a way to make tuna into dinner.... and since my darling husband will not eat tuna noodle casserole, I had to be creative. I found this recipe and adapted it to fit my needs. It was originally from Starkist Tuna. My husband loves them and asked me to put them in the rotation.

3 (5oz) cans of tuna in water (completely drained)
1 3/4 c bread crumbs (divided) (i use fresh bread crumbs... you may need less if using dry crumbs)
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c Miracle Whip
1 egg
1/3 c Ranch dressing
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/2 c finely chopped red pepper
1/2 t old bay seasoning
vegetable or olive oil for frying

1. Drain tuna making sure to squeeze as much water out of it as possible
2. In a large bowl mix 3/4 cup of bread crumbs and everything else (may be a little sticky but that is okay)
3. Form mixture into patties (I get 10 medium sized patties)
4. Fill a small bowl with remaining bread crumbs.
5. Coat patties with bread crumbs.
6. Place covered patties in the fridge for 15-20 minutes (optional, but helps hold them together)
7. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add patties. Fry 4-5 minutes each side or until they are brown.

Small patties would make a great appetizer! Large patties would make great sandwiches! I make medium patties and eat them like a crab cake.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails